It’s easy to point at scoring as the deciding factor, but the Albany Devils secured their 4-2 victory by killing off a minute and 24 seconds of 5-on-3 hockey during the third period. St. John’s threw everything at the Devils net. The penalty kill unit, backed stopped by Keith Kinkaid, protected Albany’s two-goal advantage.
Collision of the Night
Image of the Night
Follow the Action
After dropping Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, 2-1, the Albany Devils return to the ice Saturday for a 7 pm outing against the St. John’s IceCaps. The contest is the final at Times Union Center before the series shifts to Mile One Centre for the remainder of the round.
Players To Watch
Game 1 Notes
Ben Chiarot netted the game-winning goal with just 23.1 seconds remaining, giving the IceCaps a 2-1 win Friday at Times Union Center. The goal came after Joe Whitney tied the score, 1-1, with a power-play marker at 2:13 of the second period. St. John’s Eric O’Dell opened the scoring at 4:29 of the first period.
- Jon Merrill and Mike Sislo assisted on Whitney’s goal.
- Keith Kinkaid finished with 30 saves, including 13 in the first period, 10 in the second and seven in the third.
- Albany allowed more than 30 shots for just the fourth time since Mar. 2. St. John’s owned a 32-26 shot advantage.
- The Devils went 1-2 on the power play and 4-4 on the penalty kill.
- Rod Pelley led the Devils and tied a game-high with five shots.
Regular Season Breakdown
|St. John’s IceCaps||76||46||23||2||5||99||0.651|