Follow the Action
The Albany Devils will try and keep their season alive during Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the St. John’s IceCaps Friday at Mile One Centre. Puck drop is slated for 7:30 pm (local time). St. John’s owns a 2-1 series advantage thanks to a 2-1 win Friday and a 1-0 victory Wednesday. Albany won Game 2 Saturday, 4-2.
Players To Watch
Game 1 Notes
Ben Chiarot netted the game-winning goal with just 23.1 seconds remaining, giving the IceCaps a 2-1 win Friday at Times Union Center. The goal came after Joe Whitney tied the score, 1-1, with a power-play marker at 2:13 of the second period. St. John’s Eric O’Dell opened the scoring at 4:29 of the first period.
- Jon Merrill and Mike Sislo assisted on Whitney’s goal.
- Keith Kinkaid finished with 30 saves, including 13 in the first period, 10 in the second and seven in the third.
- Albany allowed more than 30 shots for just the fourth time since Mar. 2. St. John’s owned a 32-26 shot advantage.
- The Devils went 1-2 on the power play and 4-4 on the penalty kill.
- Rod Pelley led the Devils and tied a game-high with five shots.
Game 2 Notes
Special teams powered the Devils to a 4-2 victory Saturday at Times Union Center. More than 8,000 fans witnessed the Devils net three power-play goals and stave off a minute and 24 second 5-on-3 penalty kill during the third period to tie the series. Mattias Tedenby and Kelly Zajac led Albany with two points each. Tedenby had the game-winning goal and posted an assist, while Zajac helped setup the tying goal and the winner. Reid Boucher and Mike Sislo netted the team’s first and fourth goals, respectively.
- In goal, Keith Kinkaid made 30 saves, including 20 in the third period.
- Four of the game’s six goals came with the man advantage. The Devils went 3-9 on the power play and 4-5 on the penalty kill.
- Albany owned a 29-12 shot advantage during the first two periods before being outshot, 20-5, in the third frame.
- The crowd of 8,026 set an Albany AHL playoff record. The previous attendance record was 7,985 during Game 1 of the 1995 Calder Cup Final.
Game 3 Notes
IceCaps forward Kael Mouillierat scored the game’s lone goal 17:50 into the first period, helping his team to a 1-0 victory Wednesday at Mile One Centre. Zach Redmond and Will O’Neill assisted on the goal, which came during a breakaway attempt. Keith Kinkaid stood tall for Albany, making 34 saves, including 16 in the first, 13 in the second and five in the third.
- St. John’s netminder Michael Hutchinson turned aside 24 saves, including 10 in the third.
- Albany went 6-6 on the penalty kill.
- The IceCaps scored first for the third time this series.
- Jon Merrill and Chris McKelvie led the Devils with six and five shots, respectively.
Regular Season Breakdown
|St. John’s IceCaps||76||46||23||2||5||99||0.651|