by Kevin Zalaznik // 3.30.2013 // Recap
ALBANY, NY – Mike Sislo tied a career high with two goals and Reid Boucher contributed a goal and two assists in his first game of the season, but the Albany Devils fell, 5-4, in a shootout Saturday against the Portland Pirates. The Devils led 4-3 until Portland’s Andy Miele tied the game with 5:48 remaining in the third period.
After a scoreless third, Sislo and Mattias Tedenby scored in the first and fourth rounds, respectively, but Portland received tallies from Chris Conner, Chris Brown and Ethan Werek in the second, fourth and fifth rounds.
Sislo, who also registered an assist, and Boucher were joined by Joe Whitney and Jon Merrill with multi-point performances. Whitney had a goal and an assist to move his point streak to six games and Merrill registered two helpers in his second career outing.
Between the pipes, Jeff Frazee turned away 38-of-42 shots. He made 16 saves in the first, eight in the second, 13 in the third and one in overtime. In the second, Frazee denied Miele on a penalty shot, while the Devils were playing with the man advantage.
Miele had scored earlier in the game and Nick Johnson and Alexandre Bolduc also scored for Portland. Mark Visentin began the game in goal, but left after allowing four goals on eight shots. Mike Lee entered in the second period and stopped all 12 shots.
After trailing 2-1 after the first period, the Devils exploded for three goals in the second period. Boucher, who netted the team’s first goal, set up SIslo from behind the net at 2:05. Whitney followed with a power-play tally from Sislo and Boucher at 7:34 and Sislo found the back of the net again from Steve Zalewski and Jay Leach at 10:45. Bolduc halted Albany’s run, making it 4-3 at 14:27.
After Miele tied the game, the Devils successfully killed a penalty with less than a minute remaining in the third and during the early parts of overtime.
Notes & Numbers
– Albany moved to 28-26-1-11, while Portland improved to 37-25-3-2.
– With a two goals and an assist, Mike Sislo registered his second-career three-point game. He last accomplished the feat on Oct. 22, 2011 against Adirondack. Sislo set career-high marks with his 10th and 11th goals of the season.
– In his second career AHL game, Reid Boucher netted his first career goal and added a pair of assists. The 19-year-old, who signed an amateur tryout agreement yesterday, debuted with Albany last season on Apr. 15 against Syracuse.
– Joe Whitney extended his point streak to six games — tied for fourth longest in franchise history — with a goal and an assist. He increased his totals to a team-leading 25 goals and 48 points.
– Jon Merrill, who also signed an ATO yesterday, registered a pair of assists, giving him three points in his first two career games.
– Mattias Tedenby returned to the lineup after missing 18 games after being cut up high on Feb. 15 at Adirondack.
Goaltenders: Keith Kinkaid, Jeff Frazee
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Jay Leach, Corbin McPherson, Jon Merrill, Alexander Urbom
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Reid Boucher, Phil DeSimone, Mike Hoeffel, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Mike Sislo, Mattias Tedenby, Joe Whitney, Darcy Zajac, Kelly Zajac, Steve Zalewski
The Devils will have the next two days off before traveling to Springfield Tuesday for a 7 pm affair. Fans can follow the action on 104.5 “The Team” ESPN Radio or online at ahllive.com.