ALBANY, NY – Joe Whitney extended his point streak to four games and Brandon Burlon netted his first of the season in the Devils return to Albany for the first time in more than two weeks. The St. John’s IceCaps spoiled the homecoming by a score of 4-2.
Aaron Gagnon had a pair of goals for the IceCaps and Jason Jaffray compiled three points with a goal and two assists. Eric O’Dell provided the team’s other tally. In goal, Mark Dekanich made 21 saves on 23 shots.
Whitney gave the Devils the lead out the gate at 4:29 of the first period with a one-timer from the right circle. St. John’s responded with four straight goals. Jaffray began the scoring at 10:27 of the first and O’Dell gave the IceCaps the lead with a power-play goal 57 seconds into the second.
Gagnon put the IceCaps ahead 4-1 with a pair of tallies at 3:20 of the second (shorthanded) and 8:35 of the third (on the power play). Burlon capped the scoring at 15:06.
Notes & Numbers
– The Devils moved to 27-26-1-10, while the IceCaps improved to 28-33-1-4.
– Joe Whitney netted his team-leading 23rd goal, including his fifth power-play tally, for his team-high 45th point. He has points in four straight games and in six of the last seven outings. Additionally, the second-year pro has points in 10 of the last 11 contests.
– Matt Anderson and Phil DeSimone both assisted on Whitney’s goal. For Anderson, the assist was his 28th (team high) and his 41st point. He has points in three of the last four games. For DeSimone, the helper was his seventh and his 16th point.
– Brandon Burlon registered his first goal of the season and second of his career.
– With an assist on Burlon’s goal, Mike Sislo has two points (1g-1a) in as many games.
– In his first game at Times Union Center since Feb. 13, Jeff Frazee made six saves in the first, eight in the second and three in the third.
Goaltenders: Jeff Frazee, Keith Kinkaid
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Jay Leach, Corbin McPherson, Alexander Urbom, Harry Young
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Phil DeSimone, Mike Hoeffel, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Mike Sislo, Joe Whitney, Chad Wiseman, David Wohlberg, Darcy Zajac,Kelly Zajac, Steve Zalewski
The Devils remain at home for a 7 pm outing against the Hershey Bears Friday. The game included “SEFCU College Night” with $10 tickets for all college students with proper identification. Additionally, “Happy Hour” with $2 domestic drafts will be between 6-7 pm for adults 21-and-older.