by Kevin Zalaznik // 2.24.2013 // Recap
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ – Five Albany Devils registered multiple point games, including Matt Anderson and Phil DeSimone, who each had three points, in a 6-4 victory against the Hershey Bears Sunday at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. Anderson posted a goal and two assists, while DeSimone registered a season-high three helpers.
Mike Sislo and Joe Whitney both chipped in two goals and Steve Zalewski had a pair of assists. Mike Hoeffel was Albany’s other goal scorer and Keith Kinkaid made 22 saves for his 17th victory of the season, equaling his total from last year.
Hershey received a pair of goals and an assist from Casey Wellman and markers from Ryan Potulny and Ryan Stoa. In goal, Philipp Grubauer, who was coming off a 40-save, shutout performance Saturday, made 24 saves on 30 attempts.
Albany jumped out to a three-goal lead with first period tallies from Hoeffel at 9:55 and Whitney at 12:54. Sislo began the second with a breakaway goal only nine seconds into the period. The Bears answered with Potulny’s power-play tally 44 seconds later and Wellman’s goal at 6:43. Before the intermission, Whitney struck again this time on the power-play at 18:41.
In the third, Sislo extended Albany’s lead to 5-2 at 3:35 before Wellman pulled the Bears back within two at 4:35. Stoa made the score to 5-4 with a man-advantage tally at 7:24. Anderson sealed the win for the Devils at 13:07 of the third with his second goal of the game.
– Albany’s six goals tied a season high, which was also accomplished on Dec. 12 against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
– Matt Anderson and Phil DeSimone both extended their scoring streaks to three games. Anderson, who leads the team with 34 points (11g-21a), has a goal and five assists during the span, while DeSimone has a goal and five helpers.
– With his fourth two-goal game of the year, Whitney has four goals in two games and five points in four contests. He is tied for second on the team with 31 points and tied for first with 16 goals.
– Mike Sislo registered his fifth and sixth goals and extended his scoring streak to three games (4g-1a). Since Jan. 13, he has posted five goals and seven assists.
– Steve Zalewski’s two-assist night ties him for second on the team with 31 points (10g-21a). He is riding a four-game point streak with three goal and two assists.
– With his first goal since Oct. 24 against Connecticut, Mike Hoeffel registered his third goal of the season and 10th of his career. He now has seven points on the year.
– Before the game, the New Jersey Devils placed Ryan Carter on injury reserve, retroactive to Feb. 18. Additionally, they recalled Jacob Josefson from Albany and reassigned Harry Young to Albany from Trenton (ECHL).
Goaltenders: Keith Kinkaid, Jeff Frazee
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Raman Hrabarenka, Dan Kelly, Corbin McPherson, Alexander Urbom
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Phil DeSimone, Mike Hoeffel, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Joe Whitney, Chad Wiseman, Darcy Zajac, Steve Zalewski
The Devils travel to face the Syracuse Crunch Friday at 7:30 pm. Fans can follow the action on 104.5 “The Team” ESPN Radio or online at ahllive.com.