Albany Devils vs Portland Pirates
Saturday, December 28, 2013
Times Union Center | 5:00 pm | Tickets
• Holiday Special: $10 Ticket For All
• Zamboni Bank Giveaway (First 1,600)
ALBANY, NY – The Albany Devils will try and stretch their home winning streak to six games with a 5 pm matchup against the Portland Pirates Saturday at Times Union Center. The Devils last loss at home came on Nov. 29 – a 4-3 decision – against the Adirondack Phantoms in overtime. Their last regulation loss dates back to Nov. 9 – a 2-0 setback – also against the Phantoms.
– The Devils are second in the Northeast Division and fourth in the Eastern Conference at 18-8-2-1 (39 pts.). The Pirates are fourth in the Atlantic Division and tied for 11th in the conference at 12-10-1-4 (29 pts.). Albany is 10-4-1-0 at home, while Adirondack is 8-5-0-1 on the road.
– Keith Kinkaid is first in the AHL with a 1.97 goals-against average and four shutouts. The third-year pro is one shutout away from tying Jeff Frazee’s career record of 10 (2007-13). During Friday’s 2-0 win, he registered his fourth shutout of the season, tying Frazee’s single-season record set in 2008-09. Kinkaid is 12-4-1 with a .923 save percentage.
– Joe Whitney is tied for fourth in the AHL with 30 points (10g-20a). During the last three seasons, Whitney has registered more points than any other Devil. His 125 points rank third all-time in team history. His 51 goals rank third and his 74 assists rank third.
– Portland is coming off a 4-1 win at Manchester Thursday. Lyucas Lessio had two goals and an assist and Louis Domingue made 34 saves.
– Andy Miele leads the Pirates with 27 points, backed by a team-best 12 goals and 15 assists. Chris Brown is second with 17 points, including five goals and 12 helpers, and Brandon Gormley is third with 14 points with a goal and 13 assists.
Devils vs. Pirates Series
Saturday’s meeting will be the second of the season and the 46th all-time between the Devils and the Pirates. The Devils are 8-9-0-6 all-time at home and 8-11-1-2 on the road.
Albany and Portland met on Oct. 26 at Times Union Center and the Pirates claimed a 5-2 victory. The Devils came from behind twice, but Brett Hextall registered the game-winning goal at 10:56 of the third period and added an empty netter at 19:10. Albany and Portland will meet again at Androscoggin Bank Colisée on Mar. 7 and Apr. 18.
The Devils 2.52 goals-against average is tied for sixth in the league. The team is on pace to allow a franchise-low 192 goals. The 2006-07 team holds the current record of 220 (2.75 gaa), which was done during an 80-game schedule.