Albany Devils vs Syracuse Crunch
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Times Union Center | 7:00 pm | Tickets
• Dollar Dawg Night: Hot dogs and soda are $1 each!
• Kids’ Costumes: Free admission for children in Halloween costumes
ALBANY, NY – For just the second time this season, the Albany Devils are coming off a regulation loss. They will try and rebound when they host the defending Eastern Conference Champions, the Syracuse Crunch, Wednesday at Times Union Center. Puck drop is slated for 7 pm. Head Coach Rick Kowalsky believes the outing will be a good test for the 5-2-0-1 Devils.
“We haven’t seen too much of them,” Kowalsky said. “They haven’t had quite the start they’ve had the past couple of years, but no question it’s still there. Anytime you win and you go to the finals the next year, no matter how much their personnel has changed there is still a core group of guys there. There is a culture there that’s been created now.”
- Albany is tied for second in the Northeast Division and tied for fifth in the Eastern Conference with a 5-2-0-1 record (11 pts). Syracuse is fourth in the East Division and ninth in the conference with a 4-2-1-0 mark (9 pts). The Devils are 3-1-0-0 at Times Union Center, while the Crunch are 2-0-1-0 on the road.
- The Devils strongest period this season has been the second. They are outscoring opponents 9-3 and outshooting them 72-56.
- Last time out, the Devils came from behind twice, but Portland’s Brett Hextall spoiled the Devils quest to extend their point streak to seven games. Hextall registered the game-winning goal at 10:56 of the third period and added an empty netter at 19:10, helping his team to a 5-2 victory Saturday at Times Union Center.
- With seven points each, Reid Boucher and Jon Merrill are tied for sixth among rookie scorers. Both players have registered two goals and five helpers. Additionally, Merrill ranks tied for eighth among all league defensemen for points and first among all rookie blueliners.
- The Crunch are coming off a 5-0 victory Saturday against Bridgeport. Jean-Philippe Cote, Vladislav Namstnikov, Cedric Paquette, Evan Rankin and Matt Taormina each scored. Kristers Gudlevskis registered a 22-save shutout in his first career AHL contest.
- Rookie Nikita Kucherov leads Syracuse with 11 points, including six goals. Taormina, a former Devil, is second with nine points and leads the team with seven helpers.
Devils vs. Crunch Series
Since their first meeting on Jan. 13, 2010, the Devils and Crunch have faced off 28 times and the away team has held the upper hand. The Devils are 10-15-1-2 overall with a 2-10-1-1 home mark and an 8-5-0-1 road record. Albany and Syracuse last met on March 23 at Onondaga County War Memorial at Oncenter. Joe Whitney and Eric Gelinas assisted on a Matt Anderson goal during the Devils 3-1 setback.
The Devils and Crunch will meet again at Times Union Center on Mar. 16 and Apr. 13. Games at Onondaga County War Memorial will be played on Nov. 16, Mar. 22 and Apr. 4.
Scott Timmins is trying to become just the second Devil in franchise history to produce a nine-game scoring streak. With at least one point in the last eight games, Timmins trails Michael Swifts’ 2010-11 record of 10 games.