by Kevin Zalaznik // 4.2.2013 // Recap
SPRINGFIELD, MA – A pair of goals separated by just 31 seconds helped the Albany Devils to a 3-1 victory against the Springfield Falcons Tuesday at MassMutual Center. Reid Boucher and Harri Pesonen both scored in the first period and Jacob Josefson found the back of the net in the third as the Devils gained ground in the Eastern Conference playoff race.
In his 41st appearance of the season, Keith Kinkaid turned aside 35 shots, including 11 in the first, 11 in the second and 13 in the third.
Early in the opening period and on the power play, Mike Sislo found Jon Merrill near the top of the circles. The Devils defenseman fired a shot on Springfield netminder Allen York and Reid Boucher swooped in on a rebound at 15:50. Moments later Mattias Tedenby and Tim Sestito began a breakout of the offensive zone. Pesonen gained control of the puck and made a move around a Falcons defender for a breakaway goal at 16:21.
After a scoreless second, Springfield’s Ryan Craig scored on a 5-on-3 power play 49 seconds into the third period. Josefson responded on an odd-man rush, which was started by Merrill, when he snapped a wrister into the upper corner at 2:33.
Notes & Numbers
- The Devils, who improved to 29-26-1-11 (70 pts.), are three points behind eighth-place Hershey with nine games remaining. Springfield moved to 39-18-5-4 (87 pts.).
- Keith Kinkaid became the fourth goaltender in franchise history to register 20 wins in a single season. The others include Jeff Frazee (28, ’08-’09), Mike McKenna (24, ’09-’10) and Frank Doyle (20, ’06-’07).
- In his second game of the season, Reid Boucher picked up his fourth point, including his second goal. After signing an ATO Friday, the 19-year-old posted a goal and two assists Saturday.
- Jon Merrill, who also inked an ATO Friday, has had a point in all three of his games. He had an assist Friday, two helpers Saturday and two assists tonight.
- Harri Pesonen, who has missed six of the last nine games on a NHL recall, netted his 12 goal of the season. The tally, which was his 25th point, was his first since March 8.
- Jacob Josefson scored his 10th goal of the season in his return to the lineup for the first time since Mar. 10. He missed nine consecutive games with an upper-body injury.
- Tonight’s game was originally scheduled for Feb. 8, but was postponed to due to a major snowstorm, which blanketed the Northeast.
Goaltenders: Keith Kinkaid, Jeff Frazee
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Jay Leach, Corbin McPherson, Jon Merrill, Alexander Urbom
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Reid Boucher, Cam Janssen, Jacob Josefson, Chris McKelvie, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Mattias Tedenby, Joe Whitney,Darcy Zajac, Steve Zalewski
The Devils return to Times Union Center Friday for a 7 pm outing against Providence. As part of “SEFCU College Night” college students receive $10 tickets when presenting proper identification at the box office. Additionally, a Happy Hour for all fans 21-and-older will be between 6-7 pm with $2 domestic drafts.