by Kevin Zalaznik // 2.23.2013 // Recap
BINGHAMTON, NY – Three second period tallies helped the Albany Devils erase a two-goal deficit to defeat the Binghamton Senators, 5-3, Saturday at Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena. Joe Whitney led the way with a pair of goals and Jeff Frazee made 36 saves.
Trailing 3-1 after the first 21:12, the Devils strung together four straight tallies, starting with Steve Zalewski from Dan Kelly at 5:52. Mike Sislo followed with a redirect off a Harri Pesonen pass at 10:41. Before the end of the period, Whitney was fed in the slot by Zalewski at 19:37 to give the Devils the advantage.
Whitney opened the scoring for the Devils at 5:44 in response to the Senators first goal by Mark Borowiecki at 4:51. The Senators other tallies came off the sticks of Jean-Gabriel Pageau at 10:45 of the first and Shane Prince at 1:12 of the second.
Frazee made eight saves in the first, 11 in the second and 17 in the third for his fifth win. At the other end, Marc Cheverie stopped 30 shots.
– The Devils ended a four-game losing streak to improve to 21-19-1-9. The Senators had their two-game winning streak snapped. They are now 31-16-1-4.
– Steve Zalewski registered his second consecutive two-point game with a goal and an assist. He moved his point streak to three games.
– In his 19th appearance, Jeff Frazee improved to 5-9-4 with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .915 save percentage.
– Mike Sislo registered his fourth goal and second in as many games. He also had his second two-point outing of the year.
– With an assist, Matt Anderson equaled his 2011-12 output of 31 points (10g-21a). It took him 56 games last season and 48 this year. He is five points way from his 200th career AHL point.
The Devils were outshot 39-35 despite unloading a season-high 20 shots in the second period. Albany was 1-for-4 on the power play, while Binghamton went 2-for-7.
Goaltenders: Jeff Frazee, Keith Kinkaid
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Raman Hrabarenka, Dan Kelly, Corbin McPherson, Alexander Urbom
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Phil DeSimone, Mike Hoeffel, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Joe Whitney, Chad Wiseman, Darcy Zajac, Steve Zalewski.
The Devils host the Hershey Bears Sunday at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. Puck drop is at 4 pm and fans can follow the action.