by Kevin Zalaznik & Dan St-Jacques // 4.20.2013 // Recap
ALBANY, NY – After 57 minutes and 27 seconds, David Wohlberg broke a scoreless tie, helping the Albany Devils to a 2-0 victory against the Norfolk Admirals Saturday at Times Union Center. Jeff Frazee backstopped the Devils to their second straight victory. He made 31 stops for his first shutout of the season and 10th of his career.
Arguably Frazee’s best save came 3:47 into the second period when he denied Norfolk’s leading scorer, Patrick Maroon, on a two-on-one. Frazee kicked out his left leg and stopped the shot with the heel of his foot. Breaking down his performance, Frazee made 12 stops in the first, 10 in the second and nine in the third.
Wohlberg’s game-winning goal came at 17:27of the third when he converted on a pass from Harri Pesonen. Mike Sislo added an insurance goal at 19:45 with Norfolk netminder Frederik Andersen on the bench for the extra attacker.
Notes & Numbers
– Albany improved to 31-31-1-12, while Norfolk moved to 37-32-4-1.
– Norfolk owned a 31-29 shot advantage.
– Jeff Frazee registered his eighth win of the season and 73rd of his career, which ranks first all-time in franchise history. The victory was his first since Mar. 3 at Adirondack.
– David Wohlberg netted his fourth tally of the season and his first career game-winning goal. He has two goals in the last three outings.
– Mike Sislo’s empty-netter was his 13th goal, extending his point streak to three games (2g-1a).
– With an assist on Wohlberg’s goal, Harri Pesonen moved his point streak to three outings (2g-2a).
– In his 46th appearance, Norfolk’s Frederik Andersen made 27 saves.
Goaltenders: Jeff Frazee, Scott Wedgewood
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Seth Helgeson, Raman Hrabarenka, Corbin McPherson, Jon Merrill
Forwards: Jean-Sebastien Berube, Reid Boucher, Phil DeSimone, Mike Hoeffel, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Joe Whitney,David Wohlberg, Steve Zalewski
The Devils conclude the 2012-13 regulation season against Adirondack at Times Union Center. Puck drop is 3 pm and as part of “Fan Appreciation Night” the Devils will hand out more than 40 different prizes. Additionally, the first 2,000 fans will receive a Tim Sestito bobblehead, courtesy of BBL, and the first 1,500 patrons will receive an Albany Devils backpack, sponsored by Times Union.