Five Things To Know About This Week
1 – The Albany Devils enter the second-to-last week of the season four points out of eighth place in the Eastern Conference. Along with Manchester and Bridgeport, Albany has 71 points and trails Hershey and Norfolk, which have 75 points.
2 – The Devils went 1-2-0-1 last week, which began with a 3-1 victory at Springfield Tuesday. Albany followed with a 4-1 loss against Providence Friday and a 4-0 setback at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Saturday. The weekend concluded with a 3-2 shootout loss against Rochester Sunday. The Devils are tied for third in the Northeast Division and tied for 10th in the Eastern Conference at 29-28-1-12 (71 pts.).
3 – This week, Albany travels to Binghamton at 7:05 pm Friday before hosting the Senators at 5 pm Saturday. The Devils then welcome Rochester back to Times Union Center at 3 pm Sunday. Binghamton, which has clinched a playoff berth, is second in the East Division and fourth in the Eastern Conference at 40-23-1-6 (87 pts.) with a 23-8-1-3 home mark and a 17-15-0-3 road record. Rochester is second in the North Division and tied for fifth in the Western Conference at 39-27-3-1, including a 20-14-0-1 home record and a 19-13-3-0 road showing.
4 – As part of “Military Appreciation Night” Saturday, all active and retired service members will receive free admission to the game by showing proper identification at the Times Union Center box office. The festivities begin at 3 pm on South Pearl St. with the DLG Wealth Management Pre-Game Block Party. For more information CLICK HERE.
5 – Joe Whitney is a point away from becoming the ninth player in franchise history to reach the 50-point plateau. The last players to produce 50-or-more points in a season were Matt Anderson (55) and Adam Henrique (50) during the 2009-10 campaign. Whitney’s 49 points (25g-24a) are tied for ninth all-time in team history.
Notes & Numbers
• Albany has scored first 32 times this season, going 20-6-1-5 when doing so. Joe Whitney has scored the first goal a team-high seven times, while Mike Hoeffel and Harri Pesonenare next with three tallies each.
• Twenty-seven of the Devils 29 wins have come when scoring three or more goals. Albany is 27-4-0-4 when scoring three or more times, 19-2-0-3 when scoring four-plus goals, 7-0-0-0 when registering five or more tallies and 2-0-0-0 when potting six goals.
• Albany is the 12th least penalized team in the AHL, averaging 15.49 penalty minutes per game.
• Nearly half of the Devils 70 games this season have been decided by one goal. In 34 one-goal games, Albany is 13-8-1-12.
• Matt Anderson moved into a first-place tie with Stephen Gionta for the franchise record for assists. On Tuesday, Anderson registered his 82nd helper as a Devil. In 197 games with Albany, he has posted 128 points, including 42 this season.
• Jon Merrill, who signed an amateur tryout agreement on Mar. 29, netted his first career goal, firing a shot from the point against Providence Friday. In six games this season, the defenseman has points in all but two with a goal and five assists.
• Last Sunday, Jean-Sebastien Berube netted his first goal of the season and second of his career. His last goal came on Jan. 7, 2012 at Norfolk.
• After an eight-game layoff, Dan Kelly returned to the Devils lineup, appearing in last Friday and Sunday’s games. The defenseman is tied for second on the team with a +11 rating.
• New Jersey reassigned Scott Wedgewood to Albany from Trenton (ECHL) last Tuesday. Earlier in the season, the rookie became the first netminder in franchise history to win his first two career AHL starts (Mar. 9 vs. Springfield and Mar. 10 vs. Adirondack).
• On Friday, the Devils announced the signing of defenseman Seth Helgeson to an amateur tryout agreement. Helgeson, 22, was drafted in the fourth round (114th overall) by New Jersey during the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. He joins Albany after four seasons with the University of Minnesota of the WCHA.