New York state of mind
by Kevin Zalaznik // 2.13.2013 // Feature
Five Things To Know About This Week
1 – The Albany Devils are riding a three-game winning streak thanks to three victories last week. They defeated the Connecticut Whale, 4-3, in a shootout Tuesday, the Syracuse Crunch, 4-3, Saturday and the Binghamton Senators, 3-2, in a shootout Sunday. As of Wednesday, the Devils are third in the Northeast Division and tied for 10th in the Eastern Conference at 20-16-1-8 (49 pts.) with an 8-8-0-5 home showing and a 12-8-1-3 road record.
2 – On Monday, Matt Anderson was selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Feb. 10. He notched three goals and four assists for seven points in three Albany victories. He recorded a goal and two helpers in regulation and converted a shootout attempt at Connecticut Tuesday and followed with a tally and two assists at Syracuse Saturday. Anderson capped his performance with a goal at Binghamton Sunday.
3 – In their next four games, the Devils will host Syracuse Wednesday (7 pm) and Monday (2 pm), travel to Adirondack Friday (7 pm) and welcome Binghamton Sunday (3 pm). Syracuse is second in the East Division and fourth in the Eastern Conference at 16-14-2-4 (58 pts.), including a 16-6-0-2 road record. Adirondack is fifth in the Northeast Division and 15th in the conference at 19-24-2-1 (41 pts.) with a 10-11-0-1 home mark. Binghamton is first in the East Division and tied for first in the conference at 29-13-1-4 (63 pts.), featuring a 13-9-0-2 road showing.
4 – Albany, which is 12-5-0-3 against Northeast Division opponents and 5-5-1-2 against East Division rivals, is 1-2-0-0 against the Crunch this season. The Devils are 6-1-0-1 against the Phantoms and 2-1-0-0 against the Senators.
5 – Sunday’s game against Binghamton features a “Dunkin’ Donuts Family 4 Pack.” For just $52, fans will receive four tickets to the game, four Albany Devils hats and a $10 Dunkin’ Donuts Gift Card. Additionally there will be a post-game autograph session and a post-game skate.
• The Devils current three game winning streak is tied for their second longest of the season. The team won five consecutive games between Dec. 1-14 and three straight between Dec. 19-Jan. 6.
• Albany ended its shootout draught with wins at Connecticut Tuesday and at Binghamton Sunday. The team is now 2-8 in the penalty shot session.
• The Devils outing at Springfield last Friday was rescheduled due to inclement weather. The game will now be played on April 2 at 7 pm.
• Matt Anderson’s seven point performance last week moved him to the top of the Devils scoring list with 28 points. He is first with 18 assists and second among active players with 10 goals. Anderson is eight points away from hitting the 200 point plateau. In 318 career AHL games, he has produced 73 goals and 119 assists.
• On Wednesday, New Jersey recalled Andrei Loktionov. The transaction came one week after the NHL Devils acquired the Russian center from Los Angeles in exchange for a fifth-round selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Loktionov made his AHL Devils debut at Syracuse Saturday and played at Binghamton Sunday. In 134 career AHL game, he has registered 29 goals and 68 assists for 97 points. During his first North American season, Loktionov was a member of the 2008-09 Memorial Cup-winning Windsor Spitfires, where his teammates included Adam Henrique and Harry Young.
• Also on Wednesday, New Jersey reassigned Harry Young from Kalamazoo (ECHL) to Albany. Young, who has played one AHL game this season, has appeared in 32 ECHL contests — 30 with Kalamazoo and two with Trenton.
• Last Tuesday, the Albany Devils signed Stefan Stepanov to an AHL contract. He joined the AHL Devils after two-and-a-half seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League and the Minor Hockey League, playing for CSKA Moscow (2010-11) and Yekaterinburg (2011-13). During that span he logged 51 KHL games, registering two assists and 24 penalty minutes. In 55 MHL outings, he posted 30 points, including seven goals and 23 assists, and 54 penalty minutes.