by Kevin Zalaznik // 3.24.2013 // Recap
BRIDGEPORT, CT – In the final game of their six-game road trip, the Albany Devils lost, 4-2, to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Sunday at Webster Bank Arena. Mike Sislo and David Wohlberg both scored and Keith Kinkaid stopped 27 of 31 shots.
Hill and Backman netted the game’s first two goals at 10:37 and 13:46 of the first. Before the end of the period, Sislo got Albany on the board with a quick wrister at 19:36 off a fast break. Joe Whitney and Eric Gelinas helped setup the play.
In the second, the Sound Tigers added to their lead when Hill scored at 9:16 and Wishart found the back of the net at 16:18. Albany responded on a delayed penalty at 19:15. Brandon Burlon and Jay Leach worked the puck along the blue line and then found Wohlberg near the right face-off circle. He picked the upper-right corner over DiPietro’s left shoulder.
Despite outshooting the Sound Tigers, 12-4, in the third, the Devils failed to score again, moving their record to 27-25-1-10. Bridgeport improved to 27-26-6-5.
Notes & Numbers
– Before the game, the New Jersey Devils placed Alexei Ponikarovsky on injury reserve, retroactive to Mar. 19. The team also recalled Harri Pesonen from Albany.
– With his seventh goal in his last 15 games, Mike Sislo tied a career high with his ninth goal of the season.
– David Wohlberg, who scored at Binghamton Friday, registered his second goal of the season and third of his career.
– Joe Whitney extended his scoring streak to three games with an assist. He leads the team with 44 points, tying a career high. The second-year pro has at least one point in nine of the last 10 games and in 11 of the last 14.
– Eric Gelinas notched his second assist in as many games.
– Phil DeSimone was awarded a penalty shot at 7:04 of the second period. His attempt was poke checked away by Rick DiPietro. The penalty shot was the Albany’s third of the season. Adam Henrique converted on Oct. 26 against Adirondack and Harri Pesonen scored against Bridgeport on Mar. 8.
– The Devils outshot the Sound Tigers, 31-21.
Goaltenders: Keith Kinkaid, Jeff Frazee
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Jay Leach, Corbin McPherson, Alexander Urbom, Harry Young
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Jean-Sebastien Berube, Phil DeSimone, Mike Hoeffel, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Mike Sislo, Joe Whitney, David Wohlberg, Darcy Zajac, Kelly Zajac, Steve Zalewski
After a two week hiatus, the Devils return to Times Union Center Wednesday for a 7 pm outing against St. John’s.