7:35, December 9, 2011
Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial, Rochester, NY
- Devils shutout for first time since Apr. 8, 2011.
- Albany has posted 36-or-more shots in four-straight games.
- Jeff Frazee made 21 stops
by Kevin Zalaznik // 12.09.2011 // Recap
ROCHESTER, N.Y. – Facing the Rochester Americans for the second-straight game, the Albany Devils suffered a 3-0 setback Friday at the Blue Cross Arena. After a 4-2 win against Rochester last Sunday, Albany moves to 12-9-2-1. Rochester improves to 11-10-2-1, including a 9-4-0-1 record at home.
The Devils were without several regulars as Steve Bernier, Matt Corrente, Stephen Gionta, Jay Leach and Vladimir Zharkov did not dress. Additionally, defensemen Matt Taormina and Alexander Urbom were recalled by New Jersey earlier in the day.
Marcus Foligno, Alex Biega and Derek Whitmore were the goal scorers for Rochester. Foligno opened the scoring at 14:47 of the first when the puck took a favorable bounce over the head of Frazee. Assists went to Nick Crawford and Phil Varone.
The game’s final tally came off the stick of Whitmore moments after a 5-on-3 power-play concluded. Still playing 5-on-4, Whitmore was setup by Evan Rankin and Jacob Legace.
The Devils remain on the road with their first-ever contest in Canada. The team travels to Toronto tomorrow for a 3 p.m. matchup. Fans can follow the action on 104.5 “The Team” ESPN Radio.
Notes: With the recall of Matt Taormina and Alexander Urbom by New Jersey earlier in the day, the Devils dressed four rookie defensemen (Mike Banwell, Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas and Joe Sova) and a second-year player (Dan Kelly) … Albany has posted 36-or-more shots in four-consecutive games … The Devils were shutout for the first time this season and for the first time since a 6-0 loss at Springfield on Apr. 8, 2011 … Three Stars: 1. Drew MacIntyre (RCH), 2. Marcus Foligno (RCH), 3. Alex Biega (RCH).
by Kevin Zalaznik // 12.08.2011 // Preview
Follow the Action
Radio: 104.5 “The Team” ESPN Radio
The Devils and Americans are meeting for the third time in 14 days and for the third of a four-game series this year. After falling, 4-2, at Rochester on Nov. 26, the Devils rebounded with a 4-2 win at the Times Union Center on Dec. 4. The all-time series between the clubs is split down the middle, 3-3. The Devils do own the advantage at the Blue Cross Arena with a 2-1-0-0 record.
- The Devils enter the game third in the Northeast Division with a 12-8-2-1 record (27 pts.) and are 4-4-1-0 on the road. The Americans are third in the North Division with a 10-10-2-1 mark (23 pts.) and are 8-4-0-1 at the Blue Cross Arena.
- An offensive-minded defenseman, Matt Taormina leads the Devils defenders with 12 points, including four goals and eight assists. He leads the team with 65 shots and is tied for first with two game-winning goals. During the 2009-10 season, Taormina set the Devils AHL rookie record by producing 50 points (10g-40a).
- Brad Mills was loaned by New Jersey to Albany on Nov. 30. Mills played 21 games for the big club, making his season debut against Philadelphia on Oct. 8. At the AHL level, he has amassed 45 points (19g-26a) in 152 career games. He scored the game-winning goal in his season debut with Albany against Bridgeport on Dec. 2 and assisted on the game-winner against Rochester on Dec. 4.
- The Americans are on a three-game skid with losses against Houston (4-3) Friday, at Hamilton (3-2) Saturday and at Albany (4-2) Sunday. However, in their last eight home games, the Americans have produced six victories.
- David Leggio and Drew MacIntyre have split time in goal for Rochester. Leggio is 7-6-0 with a 2.97 goals-against average and a .898 save percentage. MacIntyre is 3-6-1 with a 2.80 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage.
At Devils: 1-2-0-0
At Americans: 2-1-0-0
The voice of the Albany Devils Josh Heller will have the call on 104.5 “The Team” ESPN Radio, beginning with a 7:25 pm pregame show.