5:00, November 24, 2012
Times Union Center, Albany, NY
- Joe Whitney netted his first goal of the season
- Adam Henrique posted his team-leading seventh assist
- Keith Kinkaid made 21 saves
Devils Halted By Crunch
by Kevin Zalaznik // 11.24.2012 // Recap
ALBANY, NY -- During the second stop of their three-game weekend, the Albany Devils lost, 4-1, against the Syracuse Crunch Saturday at Times Union Center. Joe Whitney registered his first goal of the season, but the Crunch received goals from Cory Conacher, Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn and Richard Panik.
Whitney’s tally came as the Devils trailed 1-0 early in the second. Adam Henrique won a battle between the benches and sprung Whitney for a breakaway at 5:00. During the opening seconds of the period, Whitney had struck iron from a near identical wrist shot from the same area. His shot adjustment led to his 16th career tally. Henrique posted his team-leading seventh assist.
Syracuse’s scoring began with a blast from Conacher at 14:52 of the first. After Whitney’s tally, the Crunch took the lead on Johnson’s goal at 10:26 and Killorn’s tally at 13:04 of the second. Panik concluded the scoring at 8:17 of the third.
Next up, the Devils host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Sunday at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. Puck drop is at 4 pm and fans can follow the action on 104.5 “The Team” ESPN Radio or online at ahllive.com.
Goaltenders: Keith Kinkaid, Jeff Frazee
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Raman Hrabarenka, Adam Larsson, Jay Leach, Corbin McPherson, Alexander Urbom
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Bobby Butler, Adam Henrique, Mike Hoeffel, Jacob Josefson, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Mattias Tedenby, Joe Whitney,Chad Wiseman, Steve Zalewski
1st Period-1, Syracuse, Conacher 9 (Taormina, Connolly), 14:52.
2nd Period-2, Albany, Whitney 1 (Henrique), 5:00. 3, Syracuse, Johnson 11 (Panik, Palat), 10:26. 4, Syracuse, Killorn 3 (Johnson, Palat), 13:04.
3rd Period-5, Syracuse, Panik 8 8:17.
Syracuse Crunch 4 at Albany Devils 1 - Status: Final
Saturday, November 24, 2012 - Times Union Center
Syracuse 1 2 1 - 4
Albany 0 1 0 - 1
1st Period-1, Syracuse, Conacher 9 (Taormina, Connolly), 14:52. Penalties-Pesonen Alb (slashing), 1:23; Gudas Syr (interference), 9:08; Cote Syr (roughing), 9:56; Anderson Alb (unsportsmanlike conduct), 9:56; Josefson Alb (slashing), 13:37; Palat Syr (high-sticking), 14:13; Cote Syr (hooking), 17:43.
2nd Period-2, Albany, Whitney 1 (Henrique), 5:00. 3, Syracuse, Johnson 11 (Panik, Palat), 10:26. 4, Syracuse, Killorn 3 (Johnson, Palat), 13:04. Penalties-Hrabarenka Alb (tripping), 2:32; Burlon Alb (cross-checking), 11:02; Kinkaid Alb (roughing), 18:39.
3rd Period-5, Syracuse, Panik 8 8:17. Penalties-No Penalties
Shots on Goal-Syracuse 4-11-10-25. Albany 6-8-5-19.
Power Play Opportunities-Syracuse 0 / 5; Albany 0 / 3.
Goalies-Syracuse, Helenius 4-2-0 (19 shots-18 saves). Albany, Kinkaid 1-5-2 (25 shots-21 saves).
Referees-Jamie Koharski (84).
Linesmen-Marty Demers (79), Kevin Redding (16).
by Kevin Zalaznik // 11.23.2012 // Preview
The second leg of the Albany Devils weekend includes a 5 pm contest against the Syracuse Crunch at Times Union Center. The game marks the second of eight meetings between the Devils and Crunch.
- The Devils are fifth in the Northeast Division and 15th in the Eastern Conference with a 4-6-0-4 record (12 pts.), while the Crunch are first in the East Division and second in the conference with a 10-3-1-1 mark (22 pts.). Albany is 2-3-0-2 at Times Union Center and Syracuse is 7-0-0-1 on the road.
- Friday at the Rochester Americans, Steve Zalewski netted his first goal of the season and 72nd of his career. Now in his sixth full season, Zalewski has appeared in 322 career games, posting 196 points.
- Raman Hrabarenka, who was signed as a free agent by Albany on Oct. 7, scored his first career goal when his shot from the point found the back of the net at Rochester. The rookie spent last season playing for Cape Breton and Drummondville of the QMJHL. His 2011-12 totals include 20 points with four goals and 16 assists in 57 games.
Oct. 19, 2012: Albany 2 vs. Syracuse 3
The Devils were poised to hand the Tampa Bay Lightning AHL affiliate their first regular-season, regulation loss since Feb. 17. Albany used two first-period goals to jump out to a 2-1 lead, but the Crunch eventually prevailed, 3-2. Mike Hoeffel and Mattias Tedenby both scored in an attempt to derail the Crunch. However, Syracuse received scoring from Tyler Johnson, J.T. Brown and Mike Angelidis.
The Devils are 2-1-0-2 when coming off a loss this year.