7:00, December 29, 2012
Giant Center, Hershey, PA
- Harri Pesonen netted the game-winning goal in the third
- Jacob Josefson has two assists
- Keith Kinkaid made 34 saves for this seventh win this month
Devils Find Answer Late, Defeat Bears
by Kevin Zalaznik // 12.29.2012 // Recap
HERSHEY, PA – The Albany Devils wrapped up the calendar year with a 3-2 victory Saturday against the Hershey Bears at Giant Center. Playing three games in three nights, the Devils earned four-out-of-a-possible-six points. Netminder Keith Kinkaid made 34 saves in his eighth win of the season and seventh during December.
Bobby Butler and Harri Pesonen each registered a goal and an assist and Jacob Josefson posted a pair of helpers. The trio had a hand in the game-winning goal, which came at 11:58 of the third period. On a fast break, Josefson fired a shot from the slot and Butler sent a follow-up try off the right post. Pesonen arrived at the top of the crease at the same time as the puck, banging in his fifth goal of the season and second during the team’s three game stretch.
Butler continued his assault on opposing goaltenders. He now has a team-leading 21 points and 14 goals. In the last 13 games, he has registered 18 points with 12 goals and six assists. During the three-in-three, he has posted six points with four goals and two assists.
Josefson, who leads the team with a plus-9 rating, moved his season totals to 20 points, including 12 assists. He has points in three straight games with four assists.
After Hershey’s Jon DiSalvatore opened the scoring at 8:06, Tim Sestito notched his third goal of the year by tipping an Eric Gelinas shot at 12:18 of the second period. Mike Hoeffel was credited with the second assist.
Albany grabbed its first lead of the night when Butler skated from behind the goal line and roofed an in-tight shot, shortside past Braden Holtby at 2:53 of the third.
The Bears answered 45 seconds later thanks to a Zach Hamill rebound goal at 3:38, allowing Pesonen to play the hero later in the period.
The Devils, who have only won one other time at Giant Center, were outshot, 36-29. Both teams went 0-for-3 with the man advantage.
Next up, Albany hosts the Falcons Saturday for a 5 pm contest. The game is part of Pucks & Paws Night – fans are encouraged to bring their dogs to Times Union Center. For more information visit thealbanydevils.com.
Goaltenders: Keith Kinkaid, Jeff Frazee
Defensemen: Eric Gelinas, Raman Hrabarenka, Corbin McPherson, Adam Larsson, Jay Leach, Alexander Urbom
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Bobby Butler, Stephen Gionta, Mike Hoeffel, Jacob Josefson, Chris McKelvie, Scott Parse, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mattias Tedenby, Darcy Zajac, Steve Zalewski
1st Period-1, Hershey, DiSalvatore 10 (Mitchell, Potulny), 8:06.
2nd Period-2, Albany, Sestito 3 (Gelinas, Hoeffel), 12:18.
3rd Period-3, Albany, Butler 14 (Pesonen, Josefson), 2:53. 4, Hershey, Hamill 10 (Berry), 3:38. 5, Albany, Pesonen 5 (Butler, Josefson), 11:58.
Albany Devils 3 at Hershey Bears 2 - Status: Final
Saturday, December 29, 2012 - Giant Center
Albany 0 1 2 - 3
Hershey 1 0 1 - 2
1st Period-1, Hershey, DiSalvatore 10 (Mitchell, Potulny), 8:06. Penalties-Beaudoin Her (high-sticking), 18:00.
2nd Period-2, Albany, Sestito 3 (Gelinas, Hoeffel), 12:18. Penalties-Mitchell Her (elbowing), 3:58; served by Pesonen Alb (bench minor - too many men), 4:48; Anderson Alb (tripping), 5:32; Brouillette Her (delay of game), 15:33.
3rd Period-3, Albany, Butler 14 (Pesonen, Josefson), 2:53. 4, Hershey, Hamill 10 (Berry), 3:38. 5, Albany, Pesonen 5 (Butler, Josefson), 11:58. Penalties-Gelinas Alb (tripping), 15:00.
Shots on Goal-Albany 12-8-9-29. Hershey 10-11-15-36.
Power Play Opportunities-Albany 0 / 3; Hershey 0 / 3.
Goalies-Albany, Kinkaid 8-7-3 (36 shots-34 saves). Hershey, Holtby 12-10-1 (29 shots-26 saves).
Referees-Chris Ciamaga (24), Fred Leblanc (30).
Linesmen-Bob Fyrer (72), Scott Pomento (25).
by Kevin Zalaznik // 12.29.2012 // Preview
After splitting games Thursday and Friday, the Devils are in search of exiting a three-in-three stretch with four points. They will have a chance to do so when today when they travel to take on the Hershey Bears. Albany knocked off the Springfield Falcons, 4-3, Thursday and lost to the Binghamton Senators, 3-2, Friday.
- Albany is tied for fourth in the Northeast Division and tied for 12th in the Eastern Conference with a 10-11-1-6 record (27 pts.) and is 6-5-1-2 on the road. Hershey is third in the East Division and tied for fifth in the conference with a 16-13-1-1 mark (34 pts.) and is 7-8-1-1 at Giant Center.
- The Devils are coming off a 3-2 setback against the Senators. Bobby Butler continued his climb up the Devils leaders list. He netted a pair of goals, giving him a team-leading 13 tallies and 19 points. In 27 games, he has also registered six assists and a plus-4 rating.
- Against Binghamton, Scott Parse appeared in his first game since Dec. 8. He registered an assist on the team’s second goal. This year, he has appeared in eight games, registering two helpers.
- The Bears, who were idle last night, are coming off a 4-1 win at the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Thursday. Mathieu Beaudoin, Boyd Kane, Garrett Mitchell and Steve Oleksy each had tallies. In goal, Dany Sabourin made 26 saves on 27 shots.
- Jeff Taffe, who netted a goal in his team’s 3-0 win against the Devils on Oct. 27, leads the team with 29 points, including six goals and a club-best 23 assists. Jon DiSalvatore is second with 24 points with nine goals and 15 assists.
Oct. 27, 2012: Albany 0 at Hershey 3
Despite owning a 35-22 shot advantage, the Devils couldn’t solve the Bears goaltender Braden Holtby at Giant Center, falling to the Bears, 3-0. Holtby posted his first shutout and his first win of the season. At the other end, Keith Kinkaid turned aside 19 shots in his third appearance. The Bears received goals from Zach Hamill, Jeff Taffe and Tomas Kundratek.
Tonight’s game is the last game of the month for the Devils, who are 6-3-1-1 in December.