7:00, February 2, 2013
Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME
- Jeff Frazee made 27 saves
- Devils went 3-for-3 on the penalty kill
- Portland's Ethan Werek had a goal and an assist
Devils Shut Out By Pirates
by Kevin Zalaznik // 2.2.2013 // Recap
PORTLAND, ME -- Jeff Frazee turned aside 27 shots, but the Albany Devils went without a goal, falling 2-0 Saturday against the Portland Pirates at Cumberland County Civic Center.
Appearing in his 15th contest, Frazee made seven saves in the first, 12 in the second and eight in the third. His performance improved his season-long goals-against average to 2.44 and his save percentage to .910.
With 22 saves, Portland’s Mark Visentin earned his 10th victory and his second shutout. Providing offensive support, Chris Conner scored at 1:22 of the second period and Ethan Werek, who set up Conner’s tally, found the back of the net at 7:25 of the third.
The Devils best opportunity to spoil Visentin’s shutout came early in the third period. Corbin McPherson led an offensive rush and found Mike Sislo skating down the right side. He pulled up at the half wall and hit a cutting Phil DeSimone. After a shot, the rebound sat in the crease, but was cleared away before Harri Pesonen or Sislo could get their sticks on the puck.
- The Devils move to 17-16-1-8, while the Pirates, who lead the Atlantic Division, improve to 27-16-1-1.
- The game was the first of two between the squads this season and the first since April 9, 2011. They will meet against at Times Union Center on Mar. 30. The Devils are now 16-19-1-7 all-time against the Pirates.
- Both teams went 0-for-3 with the man advantage.
- Chad Wiseman returned to the Devils lineup for the first time since playing back-to-back games on Jan. 12 and Jan. 13. He has appeared in 17 games, posting eight points (3g-5a).
- Before the game, the New Jersey Devils recalled Albany’s leading scorer Bobby Butler. In 37 AHL games, he has produced 27 points, including a team-high 16 games. Butler represented Albany during the 2013 Dunkin’ Donuts All-Star Classic.
Goaltenders: Jeff Frazee, Keith Kinkaid
Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, , Raman Hrabarenka, Dan Kelly, Jay Leach, Corbin McPherson, Alexander Urbom
Forwards: Matt Anderson, Phil DeSimone, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Scott Parse, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Joe Whitney, Chad Wiseman, Darcy Zajac, Steve Zalewski
Albany returns to action Tuesday with a 7 pm contest at the Connecticut Whale. The game is available on 104.5 “The Team” ESPN Radio or online at ahllive.com.
Albany Devils 0 at Portland Pirates 2 - Status: Final
Saturday, February 2, 2013 - Cumberland County Civic Center
Albany 0 0 0 - 0
Portland 0 1 1 - 2
1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Janssen Alb (fighting), 2:40; Rechlicz Por (fighting), 2:40; Zalewski Alb (interference), 8:32; Valabik Por (holding), 14:44; Hrabarenka Alb (tripping), 17:01.
2nd Period-1, Portland, Conner 9 (Werek), 1:22. Penalties-Lane Por (hooking), 13:22.
3rd Period-2, Portland, Werek 9 (Brown, Louis), 7:25. Penalties-Klinkhammer Por (roughing), 11:50; Zalewski Alb (high-sticking), 17:54.
Shots on Goal-Albany 9-8-5-22. Portland 7-13-9-29.
Power Play Opportunities-Albany 0 / 3; Portland 0 / 3.
Goalies-Albany, Frazee 3-8-4 (29 shots-27 saves). Portland, Visentin 10-9-1 (22 shots-22 saves).
Referees-Jean Hebert (43), Dave Lewis (46).
Linesmen-Joe Ross (92), Brian MacDonald (72).
The Albany Devils and the Portland Pirates are meeting for the first time since the 2010-11 season. Tonight’s matchup will be the 43rd meeting between the two clubs and the Devils are 16-18-1-7 all-time against the Pirates.
- Albany is fourth in the Northeast Division and tied for 12 in the Eastern Conference at 17-15-1-8 (43 pts.), including a 9-7-1-3 road record. Portland is first in the Atlantic Division and third in the conference at 26-16-1-1 (54 pts.) with a 15-6-0-0 mark at Cumberland County Civic Center.
- The Devils will try and rebound after a 5-1 setback last night at the Providence Bruins. Tim Sestito netted his sixth goal of the year. In 40 games, he has registered 17 points, including 11 assists, and is a plus-2.
- Yesterday Matt Anderson was returned on loan from New Jersey to Albany. The transaction came after Anderson appeared in his first two NHL games, producing an assist. With Albany, he is fourth on the club with 21 points with seven goals and 14 assists.
- The Pirates defeated the Worcester Sharks, 3-2, last night in a shootout. Chris Brown netted the lone shootout tally, which came during the fourth round. During regulation, Rob Klinkhammer and Ethan Werek both scored goals.
- Rob Klinkhammer leads Portland with 35 points and a plus-13 rating. In 43 outings, he has registered 10 goals and a team-high 25 assists.
Apr. 9, 2011: Albany 2 vs. Portland 3 -- Shootout
Chad Wiseman had a shootout goal and a pair of assists, but the Devils lost to the Pirates, 3-2, in the final home game of teh 2010-11 season. Portland’s Derek Whitmoreregistered the game-deciding goal as the last shooter in the breakaway session. Matt Anderson and Mike Hoeffel scored Albany’s goals, while Travis Turnbull and Paul Byronhad Portland’s tallies.
Tonight’s game can be followed on 104.5 “The Team” ESPN Radio or online at ahllive.com.