Five Things To Know About This Week
1 – After a stretch of seven games in 11 days, the Albany Devils are facing a two game weekend. They travel to face the Binghamton Senators Saturday at 7:05 pm and then head to Atlantic City to host the Hershey Bears Sunday at 4 pm. The Devils are winless in their last four games, falling to the Syracuse Crunch, 6-0, Wednesday and, 5-3, Monday. They also lost, 4-2, Friday at the Adirondack Phantoms and, 3-2, in a shootout against the Senators.
2 – The Devils and the Senators are meeting for the third time in two weeks. Albany claimed a 3-2 shootout win at Binghamton on Feb. 10 and the Senators returned the favor with a 3-2 shootout victory at Times Union Center last Sunday. Afters Saturday’s contest, these two teams will meet again on Mar. 22 and Apr. 12.
3 – Sunday’s outing is the fourth and final game in Atlantic City. The Devils, who hosted four games at Boardwalk Hall during the 2010-11 campaign, hosted Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (Nov. 25), Bridgeport (Jan. 13) and Adirondack (Jan. 20) earlier this season.
4 – The Devils are tied for third in the Northeast Division and tied for 10th in the Eastern Conference at 20-19-1-9 (50 pts.). The team is 8-10-0-6 at home and 12-9-1-3 on the road. The Senators are second in the East Division and fourth in the conference at 30-15-1-4 (65 pts.), including a 16-6-1-2 home record. The Bears are tied for third in the East Division and tied for seventh in the conference at 24-20-3-4 (55 pts.) with a 13-7-0-2 road record.
5 – Matt Anderson leads all Devils scorers with 29 points and 19 assists. Additionally, he is tied for second among active players with 10 goals and leads the team with 10 power-play points (1g-9a). Joe Whitney and Steve Zalewski are tied for second among active Devils with 27 points. Whitney, who leads the team with a plus-13, has 12 goals and 15 assists, while Zalewski has nine goals and 18 helpers.
• The Devils, who are 4-8-0-3 during Friday contests this season, will enjoy their first Friday off since Jan. 4. The team is 10-5-1-2 during Saturday outings and 3-1-0-3 during Sunday games.
• Albany is the 11th least penalized team in the AHL, averaging 15.61 penalty minutes per game.
• The third period has been the Devils friendliest period. They are outscoring opponents 50-44 and outshooting teams 483-453.
• The Devils have allowed the seventh fewest shots per game. They are on pace to set a franchise record, averaging 28.73 shots against per game. The current record is 29.91 set last season.
• Corbin McPherson’s goal 22 seconds into the game against Binghamton last Sunday was the fastest opening tally for Albany this season. For McPherson, it was his second goal, giving him five points. The rookie defenseman has appeared in 45 consecutive games and 46 overall. Additionally, he has posted three assists, a plus-5 rating and 25 penalty minutes.
• Jacob Josefson scored in his return to Albany’s lineup Monday against the Crunch. The day before, New Jersey returned the third year pro to Albany after a 15-game stint in the NHL. This year with the AHL Devils, he has posted nine goals and 12 assists for 21 points in 31 outings. He also has two shorthanded goals and a plus-9 showing.
• Steve Zalewski is on a two-game scoring streak, producing two goals and an assist.
• Chad Wiseman is approaching his 600th career AHL game. Now in his 11th AHL season, he has played 591 career games.